Friday, May 04, 2007

More on power

As I've mentioned, I bought an iBike to assess my current (low!) power and to try to lift it. I lament that I didn't have such a device when I was 29, but hey, now I'm 49 and I have one. So as a data junkie I am in now in heaven. Early results are positive (still on same battery after 4 weeks, filled the data log after less then 3 weeks) and the data looks good, if a tad low. It was originally too high, so I re-ran the "coast" test until it looked right. Now I worry if it's too low but hey, it's all relative, so I'll leave it as is for a while.

Some thoughts:
  • too many "zeros" will lower your average power. By simply minimising my freewheeling I have cut the zeros from around 12% to under 8%. Alternatively you can just remove those zeroes from the CSV file in a spreadsheet
  • So I began around 168W average and now have it up to 190W average (over an hour). Removing all of that freewheeling has helped but I am also getting fitter and stronger
  • My peaks have declined from over 900W to low 800W but my 20 minute average is up from 230 to 290W
  • So is it still making sense?
What is the norm for a nearly 50 year old racing cyclist who hasn't raced for a couple of months, but who has a 35 year history of riding and racing? I did find this interesting chart:

Men Averages



Measurement

Value

Average Age (yr)

38.9

Average Weight (lb)

175.9

Average Body Fat

16.7%

Average BMI

25.3

Estimated VO2 Max (ml/kg/min)

55.3

Average Wmax (Watts)

346

Av Power-to-Weight Index @ Wmax (W/kg)

4.4

Av Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (bpm)

167

Average VO2 @ LT (ml/kg/min)

43.6

Average LT percentage of VO2 Max

79.1%

Average WLT (Watts)

267

Av Power-to-Weight Index @ WLT (W/kg)

3.3

Average WLT percentage of Wmax

77.2%

Average Power @ 12 seconds (Watts)

666

Av Power-to-Weight Index @ CP0.2

8.3

Average Power @ 1 minute (Watts)

482

Average Power @ 6 minutes (Watts)

316

Average Power @ 30 minutes (Watts)

267

Average Cadence (rpm)

92.0

Which at least suggests I'm in the ballpark... hope you find power training useful. I guess I'll have to test it out in a race soon...

No comments: