Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The power of the Cycling Gods - I'd take a meeting with Liggett over Lance, though

The ride with Lance story is quite charming, really. But I prefer the meeting with Phil ;-)

A ride with Lance « Marijolamarche's Blog
Walking towards Lance, I understood what he meant. He exchanged a few words with Kevin, his agent-bodyguard, who turned to me : « Stay here, don’t move. » I heard Lance looking at Quick, asking Kevin: »a picture with the dog? ». « Yes, the dog and the girl ».
Slowly, he came over, stopped by my side and starting peting my 4 legged son. He was very mellow, standing next to me, but at the same time quite distant. During the shot I just thanked him for taking the time. I had a weird feeling that the shot was taking forever. Time had stopped. Then I just walked away, not wanting to over do it.


Phil Liggett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phil Liggett MBE (born 1943) is a British commentator and journalist who covers professional cycling. He currently commentates on the Tour de France and bike races for Versus and ITV. He is a former amateur cyclist and received a professional contract in 1967; instead of turning professional he saw a future in sports journalism after he wrote a few articles in cycling magazines about races in which he participated.